Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cushions

Right before Waielah starts the kindergarten, I made myself busy with few DIY projects.
Thanks to a generous friend for donating her sewing machine and I have half-fully made use of it.
My humble project is cushion covers.

The most tricky task to do the piping around it given I never had a sewing lesson all in my life.
My free advise (so funny, considered from an amateur tailor) is never use a ready made satin bias fold tape on sales.
Yes they are cheap at 50-60cents per pack but they didnt give me any help at all
Or is there some pro tailor out there can give me on some hints on how to use them?

After a while then, after few thinking and head-spanking, I finally agree that one needs to line the bias tape with a white cloth (I only managed to do only with cotton one instead of satin. And I only works for sewing some string for my pillowcase cover).
Yes, the name on the label spells so, funnily that.
I believed it has some other name. But I noticed law firms are using this multi-colored with cloth (used to see one in pink) to tie their cases files.

So, I think this decsription will help a 'sewing-dummy' like me.
Even a tutorial from http://www.bhg.com/ didnt help much

~from left to right : a satin bias tape fold, a cotton one, and a white cloth

And, as I said for dummy like me, even to sew a neat zip is challenging too.
The end result, I only confident to display all the completed covers only on my sofas, and only in my house.

****Oh boy, fabrics are so expensive this day even a DIY still costs me so much.
Seem that I only managed to save on tailor cost.
I'm in need of spend wisely wisdom now and its hard to get into the mood.
But importantly I tried and was relieved when it all done. Sigh....

~my curtain is a purple ala magenta, so I resort to match with purple cushions in various design fabrics

~and also some commissioned from Portmeirion BGs and Pamonas tea towel with green and magenta backings

3 comments:

  1. wah tereee lerr ko jahit.. cantik ah.. den tak berani lagi nak jahit kusyen nih hhuhuu..

    ReplyDelete
  2. aik, jgn la merendah diri plok. bukan mung pernoh buat ker siap ngn sulam reben lagi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. emm.. memg tak pernah jahit lagi pong seumur hidup ni.. aku jahit riben je. kusyen tu mak sedara aku jahit.. aku nak gi klem je kain tu sebenornye.. pastu die offer diri nok jahit.. aku suruh la die jahit.. lagi pon masa tu urgent nak bagi org kawen...hehe

    ReplyDelete